Sunday, January 27, 2008

Theology and the Spirit in some Pentecostal circles

Some time last year I was let in on what some people in our church thought about me. It was shocking to find that there was a fear that I could be a false prophet about whom the bible gave warning. It is this that I want to reflect on. My reflections on the matter are informed by memories of having been labelled as prayerless, cornered to credit the spiritual powers manifesting through me to demons. Later at seminary, I got lambasted for embracing rigorous theologising on Christian praxis. Again, one of my lecturers warned the class not to go deep with theology lest we lose the Spirit. This led to some seminarians labelling those perceived to have taken well to theology to be without the Spirit.

A situation of heated debates resulted from the above. All I seemed to hear was an equation of theological naivity to conduciveness for Spirit's indwelling and work. I could not accept limits on theological inquiry in the quest to retain the Spirit as right. I felt that knowledge comes because we ask and ask sincerely, unashamedly and deeply, seeking to understand; that what one claims to know or understand is soon challenged by new and different situations such that the 'knower' is sent to the drawing board repeatedly.

Today's world is changing fast. The questions we ask today might be irrelevant tomorrow. The answers which seem satisfactory today may turn totally unconvincing tomorrow. The nature and process of knowing itself is being thrown into question as the world undergoes these pervasive changes. So how can one not pursue understanding and sharpness in theological matters? This does not mean that I have attained the above, but that I press on towards attainment of understanding. My persistent questioning has brought me funny labels. I told a friend that the remaining label is being called the devil.
I think it is sad that some people among Pentecostals can be so anti-theology. It is probably the same attitude that has gotten us into so much confusion. I find it scandalous that some Pentecostals think that they can lead and pastor God's people without any intellectual preparation; that because they have the anointing of the Spirit, they need not be taught by 'men'; that the same people would rebel and lead others into rebellion should they be challenged on their assumptions.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amen. I have struggled with this for years, as I believe that we are called to love the Lord with both heart and mind. One of the main points hammered into all disciples and apostles in the New Testament is "Search the Scriptures. Way everything against the knowledge." Yet - in Pentecostal/Charismatic churches you are sometimes not even allowed to question the praxis as everything that happens in the church service is automatically believed to be Spirit driven - even though Scripture screams against it. Thank you for this post.

4.2.1.3 Provision of religious, educational, health and welfare facilities

Seemingly, most if not all Muslim countries are characterized by ruinous socio-economic conditions in which most people live. In Islamic W...